Whirlpool GC2000XE 1/2 HP Garbage Disposal Review
The Whirlpool brand has been in business for more than 100 years, and they are one of the most trusted names in home appliances. Even after all of this time, they still continue to produce quality products. Each of their garbage disposals are manufactured in the United States and are compatible with septic tanks.
The best qualities of the Whirlpool GC2000XE Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal (see today's price) are its efficient grinding capabilities, durability and power, and quiet mode of operation. The grinding chamber and the grinding components of the GC2000XE have been insulated to reduce the amount of noise it makes, and even while it is running, you can still carry on a conversation with someone else in the room without having to shout at each other.
This garbage disposal receives its power from its patented ½ HP motor. The motor is crafted from stainless steel, which makes it resistant to corrosion and durable. Its stainless steel frame is attractive and streamlined and reinforces the durability of the unit. One popular feature that is wholly unique to Whirlpool garbage disposals is Whirlpool’s overload protector with manual reset. This feature protects the garbage disposal by ensuring that it does not become overloaded and can grind more efficiently. In turn, this significantly reduces the chance that your home’s plumbing will develop a clog. All of this is backed by an extended manufacturer’s warranty.
- Stainless Steel Components – This includes a flange that is made from stainless steel and a one-piece plastic stopper. Other components made from galvanized stainless steel include the shredder ring and grinding wheel. As aforementioned, stainless steel is resistant to corrosion and ensures that the unit will have a long working life.
- Overload Protector With Manual Reset – This unique feature is exclusive to all Whirlpool garbage disposals, and it protects your food waste disposer from being overloaded, which extends its longevity. The manual reset feature makes it simple to reset the disposer when needed.
- ½ HP Motor – For a family of 4-6 people, the Whirlpool GC2000XE offers plenty of grinding power for all of their food waste. From chicken bones to hard vegetables, this motor can handle it all. It can reach a max speed of 1,800 rotations per minute, which makes mincemeat out of most food waste.
- Stainless steel sink flange with 1 piece plastic stopper
- Galvanized steel grinding wheel and shredder ring
- Overload protector with manual reset
My Story and Experiences
I own multiple rental and investment properties in the city I live in, and in addition to being the owner, I also have the pleasure of acting as part time handyman. While I genuinely care about my tenants, I do have to balance economy with quality. This is why Whirlpool garbage disposals have become my go to appliance. When the Whirlpool GC2000XE came out, I was quick to order to test in my own home.
I ordered this particular model because it was a newer version of the Whirlpool model I already had installed in my home. The older model I have was already installed in my home when I bought it 12 years ago. Assuming it was a year or two old when I bought the house, that’s a pretty impressive lifespan! The GC2000XE is much quieter when it is running, and so far, it’s had no trouble grinding up anything I’ve put in it.
The new garbage disposal came with a power cord, which I appreciated. It was one less thing I had to buy. The InSinkErator models I looked at required you to purchase a separate power cord. I was able to use the old mounting system that had already been installed under my sink, so total installation time was less than an hour. The only issue I had was that it was slightly difficult to line up the mount edges with the disposal edges. It took some amount of flexibility, but I eventually got it in.
For its low price, I wasn’t expecting the amount of power the GC2000XE has to offer. After it was installed, I decided to give it a test run with some Chinese food that had been marinating in the fridge for a couple of weeks. This unit handled it like a champ. This is a garbage disposal that I would feel comfortable installing in any of my tenants’ homes.
The Whirlpool GC2000XE ½ HP Continuous Feed Garbage has hundreds of positive reviews on the Internet, and I have to say that these reviews got it right. All of its advertised features work exactly like they are supposed to, which results in a quiet and efficient garbage disposal. Installation time was minimal, and the motor is excellent. This is just yet another reason why I trust the Whirlpool name brand.
Last update on 2020-10-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API