Waste King L-1001 Legend Series Garbage Disposer Review
Many people who are interested in investing in a garbage disposal are deterred by the belief that there is not enough room underneath their kitchen sink for one, but the Waste King L-1001 Legend Series ½ HP Continuous Feed Operation Garbage Disposer (see today's price) is designed specifically to alleviate those fears. In terms of dimensions, it measures 6.4” x 6.4” x 13.4”. Its slim body means that it can fit in the smallest of spaces, and because it weighs just a hair over 9 pounds, it is not difficult to install yourself. This makes it a great option for people who live in a condo or small apartment.
The Waste King brand has been producing garbage disposals and other small home appliances for decades. To ensure superior quality control, each garbage disposer is made in the United States. To back up the claims they make regarding their product, Waste King offers a 2 year, in home warranty on each L-1001 model. The warranty covers mechanical and material defects, as well as corrosion. On the slim chance that something should happen to the model you purchase; Waste King will send a trained technician to your home to repair or replace the unit.
- Rubber Sink Stopper – The stopper will prevent foreign objects from falling into the disposal when it is not in use.
- Removable Splash Guard – The splash guard is used to prevent food particles from flying out of the disposer while it is running.
- Stainless Steel Components – Both the swivel impellers and the grinding chamber are made from stainless steel. This makes the parts naturally resistant to corrosion and offers a longer lifespan.
- Powerful Motor – The motor of the Waste King L-1001 offers ½ HP and can reach up to 2,600 rpm to efficiently grind food.
- Included Power Cord – A generously sized, 36” power cord is included with your purchase. This makes one less accessory you must buy separately.
- Septic Tank Safe – This garbage disposal can be safely used in homes that have septic tanks.
- HIGH-SPEED MOTOR: The 1/2 HP, 2600 RPM (115v) permanent magnet motor jams less. Has dishwasher hookup
- EASY INSTALLATION AND CLEANING: EZ Mount for a quick and easy kitchen sink installation, removable splashguard for...
- 2 YEAR PROTECTION: 2-year Limited. Corrosion resistant grinding components
My Story and Experiences
My last, 12 year old garbage disposal bit the dust after my four year old decided to put his toy car down it and neglected to tell my wife. You can imagine that she got a nasty surprise the next time she flipped it on. We learned our lesson the hard way.
Our last model was a Waste King, so it made sense that we would go with this brand again. When it comes to garbage disposals, Waste King has one of the best reputations for durability and longevity. Heck, our old unit would probably still be running if not for the traffic accident. The new model we picked out was more than affordable, and the consumer written reviews on Amazon were singing its praises left and right.
I have to say that Waste King has made a lot of new improvements since the last time I purchased one of their waste disposers, and I am more than impressed. The Waste King L-1001 only weighed a little over 9 pounds, and it has a streamlined, compact design that will still leave us with more than enough room to store other things underneath our kitchen sink. Like our old model, it came with an included power cord, but one thing I really like about the new model is that it has a dishwasher hookup. This eliminated the need to hardwire it into our dishwasher like I had to do with the old one. All in all, installation time only took about 45 minutes. The installation instructions were simple, clear, and easy to read.
Now that it’s up and running, I’m really pleased with its overall performance. The grinding chamber on this particular model isn’t large, so you have to feed food waste into it slowly. Most importantly, it operates fairly quietly. All of the moving parts in the L-1001 model have been insulated, so they produce very little vibration when running. This is great for when my toddler is napping in the next room. I can clean the kitchen without having to worry about waking her up.
My only complaint about the Waste King L-1001 is a minor one: it does not have an Allen wrench fitting on the bottom of the unit to help fix clogs and jams, so we’ve had to look to make do with a wooden spoon. This would be my only criticism of the design.
The Waste King L-1001 is an affordable and reliable garbage disposer with an adequate ½ HP motor. Don’t make the mistake of assuming it is a below average unit just because it has a low price tag. As I mentioned earlier, it has high overall ratings in both professional and consumer written reviews, and I’m certainly a fan of it. The installation was a breeze, and its performance has been sound.
Because it is a mid-range model, it should be used lightly to moderately in the kitchen. While it’s not the quietest model on the market, it’s acceptable for what its price point is. Overall, I think the Waste King L-1001 offers a great value for your money. If you live in an apartment, condo, or have a household of 2-5 people, then you’ll be happy with what this model has to offer.
Waste King L-1001 Legend Series Garbage Disposer
Last update on 2020-04-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API