Waste King 9940 Legend Series Garbage Disposer Review
The Waste King 9940 Legend Series 3/4-HP Continuous-Feed Operation Garbage Disposal is one of the most reasonably priced and efficient garbage disposals in today's market. It's relatively quiet (unless you're grinding up some bones), installation is pretty simple, and the hardest part of your installation might just be uninstalling your old unit.
If your family does a lot of cooking and eating, it's recommended that you get this 3/4 or higher horsepower (instead of 3/4 to 1+ horsepower). You'll also enjoy the 2,700+ RPM it comes with, which lies toward the high-end of power for this class of garbage disposal. The Waste King 9940 (see today's price) has a continuous feed operation. That means that you can continually add your scraps and food waste until you're finished.
This Waste King model has corrosion and rust resistant design and chamber, and all stainless steel grinding parts. The noise this disposer emits sounds like a low hum (instead of a pile of rocks churning around in a blender)!
Installation of this model is very simple and can be done by DIYers and homeowners who don't have a lot of experience with electrical work or plumbing. The instructions are superb - easy to understand and simple to follow. The 9940 is 13 5/8” height x 8 5/8” width x 8 5/8” Depth, a relatively standard size for food disposers. It won't take up a lot of space and will fit nicely inside your cabinetry.
- High-speed vortex-powered 2700 RPM permanent magnet motor that efficiently gets rid of food waste - also it produces more power per pound than other similarly sized units
- 3/4 HP motor - Also includes a 36" power cord (so you won't have to hard-wire the garbage disposal) plus a three-bolt mount. Just plug it into any VAC outlet
- Environmentally friendly disposer is safe to use with correctly-sized septic tanks
- Has a glass-filled corrosion-proof polyester grinding chamber, and a removable splash guard (also known as a hush cushion)
- Stainless steel turntable, swivel impellers, and grind ring
- Sound-insulated for a quieter operation - A good continuous-feed disposer
- Specially designed to work with a dishwasher
- Choice of a 3 bolt mount system featuring mounting components made of stainless steel OR an EZ-Sink mount system that will give you an easy, no-hassle installation
- Lifetime corrosion warranty and an eight-year in-home warranty - If there's a problem, agents will come out to your home and give you a free replacement
- HIGH-SPEED MOTOR: The 3/4 HP, 2700 RPM (115 volts) permanent magnet motor is sound insulated and jams less
- EASY INSTALLATION: Professional 3-Bolt Mount for a quick and easy kitchen sink installation
- 8 YEAR PROTECTION: 8-year Limited Warranty. Suitable for dishwasher hookup
My Story and Experiences
I'm a DIY kind of guy, but that doesn't include walking table scraps back and forth to the outside dumpster twice a day. When our old garbage disposal died, I did some shopping around online and saw that the Waste King 9940 was getting some pretty serious good reviews (I also flipped through the latest Consumer Reports at the public library and noted that they ranked this model and one other Waste King disposal up at the top for minimal sound and performance). When I discovered that this model came with 8-year warranty, I saw no need to hesitate further - I drove down to our local appliance store.
I appreciate the fact that the plug and power cord are all nicely installed already inside the box. The box even included a little tube of plumber's putty. Now that's thinking ahead! Don't forget to lube up the included anti-vibration mount with some liquid soap before you attempt to slide it onto the sink flange (Celcon), and it'll simply pop into place.
We're very happy with our purchase. This thing is solid, well designed - heck, it's built like a truck! The stainless-steel grinding components should last 10 to 20 years if handled correctly. If I had to complain about something with this product, I guess I'd say that it's a pretty slow drainer. I figure that happens because of a very firm sink flap. If this bothers you, I suggest you get a razor blade to make several small cuts all along its flap edge, and that ought to soften it up. I like the ABS waste elbow and the positive seal stopper, as well as the sleeve-type bearings which are "permanently lubricated". You also can't go wrong with the manual reset overload protector.
Before I forget, let me mention that the instructions that came with this piece of equipment were some of the finest, most clear instructions I've ever seen in my 75 years! They even had tips on how you can snake the drain when you're removing the old garbage disposal. I sic this baby on turkey and chicken bones, celery, carrots, watermelon skins, orange peels and potato peels, other fruit rinds, corn cobs, nuts, etc., etc.
Look no further if you want a long lasting, sturdily built, efficient piece of equipment.
Waste King 9940 Legend Series Garbage Disposer
Last update on 2020-04-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API