InSinkErator Badger 5 vs Badger 500
InSinkErator is one of the leading manufacturers of residential garbage disposals. The Badger line is quite popular and affordable. When shopping online at the InSinkErator website, you will see three models of Badger garbage disposals listed, along with pricing for each.
There are some differences in the specifications. The Badger 5 motor is 1/2 HP, compared to the 5XP at 3/4 HP. The Badger 5 weighs 14 pounds, while the 5XP weighs 15 pounds. The Badger 1 differs in that it is 1/3 HP and weighs 13 pounds. These differences are reflected in the prices. The Badger 5 is an affordably priced disposal that is claimed to be easy to install to your kitchen sink drain outlet using the InSinkErator Quick Lock sink mount.
The basic specifications for the Badger 5 are:
- Continuous feed
- Wall switch operated
- Single phase motor
- 1/2 HP
- 120 volts
- 60 HZ
- 1725 RPM
- 6.3 average amp load
- 14 lbs in weight
- 12-5/8” in height
- Grind chamber capacity of 26 ounces
- Manual reset overload for motor protection
- 1 gallon of average water usage per day
- 3-4 KWh per year average electrical usage
- Has a dishwasher drain connection option
- Steel grinding elements
- 2 year in-home warranty
According to technical support at InSinkErator, the Badger 500 is identical to the Badger 5. You won’t see the 500 listed for sale on the manufacturer’s website. This is because the 500 model is the 5 rebranded only for sale at The Home Depot.
When comparing the InSinkErator Badger 5 vs Badger 500, you won’t find any difference in specifications, warranty, or performance. What you will find is a difference in price. The Badger 500 sells at a higher price point than the Badger 5 at The Home Depot. In my research, I found that The Home Depot offers both the Badger 5, listed at around $75, and the Badger 500, listed around $99. With either disposal, you have to purchase the InSinkErator Power Cord Accessory Kit if you intend to plug the unit into a wall outlet mounted within the sink cabinet. The kit sells for around $12.00.
I wondered why anyone would you go to The Home Depot and pay more for the Badger 500 if the 5 is the same and less expensive. I discovered that it is simply a matter of convenience. The Badger 500 is stocked on the shelves in the store. You can just go in and purchase it quickly. If you want the Badger 5 from The Home Depot, you will have to order it. You can order on The Home Depot website or through a sales clerk in the store. The order for the Badger 5 will be shipped to the store where you can pick it up.
I came across and interesting tip from an online customer review of this product: You can ask the sales clerk at The Home Depot to order the Badger 5 for you at the lesser price or suggest that he or she sell the 500 to you for the price of the 5. For their own convenience, they may accommodate your request.
InSinkErator garbage disposals are well priced and have a good warranty service program. Like any appliance, they don’t last forever. And, you will need to have some basic electrical work done to accommodate the installation, unless you are purchasing the disposal to replace an existing one.
- RELIABLE & EASY INSTALL: Badger Series disposers are a reliable & functional choice when affordability is the prime...
- DURABLE COMPONENTS: This garbage disposal features our exclusive 1/2 hp Dura-Drive Induction Motor and long lasting...
- AMERICA'S #1 DISPOSER BRAND: There are more American-built InSinkErator garbage disposals in US homes than all other...
- Rugged galvanized steel construction for disposer durability
- Quick Lock sink mount allows for easy installation and disposer replacement
- Power cord is sold separately for installations where a power outlet is present,
Last update on 2019-11-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API