InSinkErator PRO 1100XL Food Waste Disposal Review
Selecting a new garbage disposal is not the easiest task. A quick Internet search will show you that there are dozens, if not hundreds of garbage disposal units to choose from. If you’ve never purchased or installed a garbage disposer before, it is difficult to know what to look for and which brands you can trust.
When it comes to garbage disposers and other small appliances, InSinkErator is one of the most trusted brands in North America. Founded by John W. Hammes in the early part of the twentieth century, they have been making high quality and durable food waste disposers for more than 85 years. The InSinkErator O1100XL Pro Series 1.1 HP Food Waste Disposal (see today's price) is the newest addition to their product lineup, and it is an excellent example of the best the brand has to offer.
The InSinkErator O1100XL is one of the more expensive garbage disposals on the market today. Its motor boasts a whopping 1.1 HP – making it one of the strongest disposer motors available. Its generously sized 40 ounce grinding chamber enables it to handle large amounts of food waste with ease. Each of its moving components are insulated to reduce the amount of noise it makes while running. This model is ideal for large families or folks who like to entertain on a regular basis.
- SoundSeal Technology – InSinkErator’s patented SoundSeal Technology delivers ultra quiet performance. You can hold a conversation in the same room without having to yell at one another.
- MultiGrind Technology – Standard garbage disposals have one grinding stage. The InSinkErator O1100XL offers three separate grinding stages in order to pulverize food waste into virtually nothing.
- Jam Sensors – Embedded jam sensors monitor the performance of this model to prevent clogs and jams from occurring, and if a jam does occur, it will increase its motor torque by 500% to break through any clog.
- Quality Control – This garbage disposal is made in the United States exclusively for professional plumbers, but it is now being made available to the general public. Because the units are made in the U.S., it allows InSinkErator to keep a tight grip on quality control.
- Warranty – This InSinkErator model is covered by a 12 year, in home warranty from the manufacturer, and it protects it from rust, corrosion, and material or workmanship defects.
- MultiGrind lets you quickly grind difficult food waste
- SoundSeal makes this disposer at least 40% quieter than standard disposers
- 40-ounce stainless steel grind chamber and grind components
My Story and Experiences
Although I am not a professional plumber, I do own several rental properties that I am responsible for maintaining, and I will not use anything other than InSinkErator brand products. Their stainless steel, dual grinding components are among the best (if not the best) on the market. Recently, I installed the InSinkErator O1100XL Pro Series 1.1 HP Food Waste Disposal in my own home. With a large family of nine, we needed something that could handle the use and abuse we’d put it through. Could I have bought a cheaper model? Yes, but this one I know will be working for at least the next twelve years.
The installation process was fairly simple and straightforward. By myself, it took a bit over an hour to install this one. Be forewarned that the unit is bulky. In dimension, it measures 9 x 9 x 13.5 inches and weighs over 25 pounds. Before clicking the buy button, I would recommend measuring underneath your sink to make sure that there is enough room to hold it.
One thing I liked about this model was that it came with InSinkErator’s new Quiet Collar sink baffle. The baffle is insulated, which further reduces the amount of noise and vibration produced by the unit. The EZ Mount System worked with the old InSinkErator model I was replacing, which also made the installation process easier. It is awkward to actually attach the unit to the collar, so a second pair of hands would be helpful here. A power cord does not come included with this model, so be aware that this is something you will have to buy separately.
When it comes to actual operation, I am happy, and I’m a hard person to impress. Between the antivibration and noise insulation, this unit is very quiet when it is turned on. My wife and I were talking in the kitchen yesterday, and she forgot she had it turned on for nearly ten minutes because we were able to carry on a conversation in normal tones. InSinkErator says that their soundproofing efforts make it 40% quieter than comparable models, but I would be willing to estimate that it is more than that.
The motor is powerful, and it can grind up almost anything, including chicken bones. Just for the fun of it, I threw a handful of pistachio shells in it to see what it would do, and it pulverized them into near liquid in a matter of seconds. I don’t think a cheaper model would have the same grinding power, and therefore I am a loyal customer of InSinkErator.
The InSinkErator O1100XL Pro Series 1.1 HP Food Waste Disposal works exactly as it is advertised, and I would recommend this model to a friend or family member. It has quickly become one of Amazon’s highest rated garbage disposals and has fared well in both professional and consumer written reviews. Based on my personal experience with this particular model, I think the reviews are well deserved, and I know I can rest assured that it will provide many years of use.
Last update on 2021-01-25 at 19:09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API