InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal Review
If you are looking for a brand name that is synonymous with quality, then InSinkErator is who you have been looking for. Each of their waste disposal units is manufactured in the United States to guarantee quality control. InSinkErator has been in business for more than 75 years, and their popularity continues to grow.
Over the last 85 years, InSinkErator has transformed into the largest and best-selling designer and manufacturer of waste disposers in the world. In fact, 9 out of 10 professional plumbers state that they would choose an InSinkErator brand garbage disposal over any other name brand because of their grinding power, quiet operation, durability, and product quality.
For the discerning homeowner demands quality, but does not want to pay a small fortune, InSinkErator produces the Badger line of food waster disposers, and the shining star of this line is the InSinkErator Badger 5 ½ HP Food Waste Disposer (see today's price). The best qualities of the Badger 5 are its power and durability, efficient grinding, and simple installation process. Moreover, it is backed by an industry leading warranty and is compatible with septic systems. For more than 10 years, it has been one of InSinkErator’s best-selling models.
- Stainless Steel Construction – All of the grinding components of the Badger 5 are crafted from premium stainless steel. This offers several benefits. First, the stainless steel is more durable than materials used in the past, so you can rest assured that your unit will last for many years to come. Secondly, stainless steel is resistant to corrosion, chemical damage, and heat damage.
- DuraDrive Technology – InSinkErator’s patented DuraDrive technology is used in the design of this garbage disposal’s ¾ HP induction motor, and you can feel the power of the unit when you turn it on. When the grinding chamber kicks into gear, you can feel its powerful vibrations.
- Quick Lock Technology – The unique locking mechanism makes it simple to remove and install a new InSinkErator model. This eliminates the need to call a professional plumber, which can cost hundreds of dollars. The technology is compatible with other garbage disposals units and was designed to make for a quick and hassle free installation experience.
- InSinkErator Grind Technology – The Badger 5 boasts the company’s top secret, patented one stage grind technology, which includes a GrindShear ring that turns tough to grind foods into mincemeat. Because food waste is virtually liquefied, it allows the waste to flow smoothly through your home’s sewage system and reduces the chances that you’ll develop a clog.
- 26 oz. Grind chamber with galvanized steel grind system
- 1/2 Horsepower Dura-Drive Induction Motor
- We Come to You 2 -Year In-Home Limited Warranty
- Power cord not included
My Story and Experiences
My search for a new garbage disposal system started on the Internet, and a quick search showed me that there are literally hundreds of different garbage disposals to choose from. Obviously, it wasn’t going to be easy to narrow my search down. I hate shopping, and my usual method of buying something involves “eenie meenie mini mo”. I knew that wasn’t going to cut it this time. I needed a reliable and durable food disposer.
As I was scrolling through webpage after webpage, the InSinkErator Badger 5 caught my eye. It had an attractive, sleek design, and the reviews for it were outstanding. What really caught my eye though was its QuickLock installation system. I’m a first time homeowner, and let’s be honest: women don’t exactly have a reputation for being “handy” around the house. I didn’t want to have to call my dad or brother to help me install this thing, and I didn’t have the money to pay a professional plumber to do it.
The QuickLock installation system promised to make installing it quick and easy. According to the reviews, all I had to do was unscrew my old garbage disposal from its place under the sink and screw the new one in – sort of like changing a lightbulb. It sounded too good to be true, but I figured it was worth a shot.
When the Badger garbage disposal arrived, it came with a Quick Lock Sink Mount, the tailpipe, a Jam Buster wrench, tailpipe gasket, the stopper, and installation instructions. In short, I had everything I needed to install it right then and there, which is exactly what I did. It took me nearly 20 minutes to wrestle my old food disposer out from underneath the sink because of all of the rust and corrosion. (I guess that’s what you get for using inferior products!) However, once I had that sucker out, it only took me 15 minutes to install the InSinkErator Badger 5 myself!
There are lots of things I could praise about the Badger 5. It works smoothly, does its job more than adequately, has a great warranty, etc., but it was the ease of installation that sold me on the InSinkErator brand for life. It’s rare to find a company that manufactures a product that is 100% what is advertised, and I feel that InSinkErator is a brand I can trust. Trust is something that is earned, and they’ve won my loyalty.
The InSinkErator Badger 5 is not the cheapest garbage disposal you’ll find on the market, but it is definitely worth spending the extra few dollars if you’re looking for a no frills, straightforward waste disposer that is going to get the job done. It’s something I use in my kitchen every day, and it has held up well. On the off chance that something should go wrong, I know I have the company’s extended warranty to back me up.