InSinkErator Badger 1, 1/3 HP Garbage Disposer Review
The name “InSinkErator” is synonymous with quality, and the brand has been involved in the design and production of kitchen appliances for more than 75 years. In order to maintain excellent quality control, InSinkErator manufactures all of their garbage disposers in the United States. Badger, the brand’s flagship line of garbage disposals, offers reliability and functionality at an affordable price.
The Badger 1, 1/3rd HP waste disposer (see today's price) is equipped with a powerful, 26 oz. grinding chamber, which is powered by the patented Dura-Rive Induction motor. When you order the Badger 1, you will receive a Quick Lock sink mount, tailpipe, Jam Buster wrench, stopper, tailpipe gasket, and installation instructions. Sleek and streamlined are two words that you generally don’t associate with garbage disposals, but the Badger 1 is one handsome appliance. InSinkErator’s garbage disposals are specifically designed to be simple to install, and in most instances, there will be no need to call a professional!
InSinkErator has a lot of confidence in the products they produce, and this is why the Badger 1 is backed by one of the industry’s best warranties. The warranty includes free house calls for parts and labor for the length of the one-year warranty period. On the slim chance that there is a defect in the product, InSinkErator will replace it for you for free.
Best Features of the InSinkErator Badger 1 Garbage Disposal:
- Quick Lock Sink Mount – InSinkErator brand garbage disposals are among the easiest in the world to install, and it’s all thanks to the company’s patented Quick Lock sink mount. The mount is crafted from durable stainless steel. When you’re ready to install it, just “twist off” the old disposal unit and “twist on” the new one. Quick Lock makes it simple to change any InSinkErator branded garbage disposer in mere minutes.
- Large Capacity Grinding Chamber – With a 26 oz. capacity, the grinding chamber of the Badger 1 is generously sized. The Badger 1 is outfitted with single stage grinding technology, which includes a GrindShear ring that makes mincemeat out of tough-to-grind foods. All food waste is liquefied, which means that it flows smoothly down your pipes and will not cause buildups within the pipes. To ensure their durability, all components of the grinding chamber are crafted from stainless steel.
- Dura-Drive Induction Motor – InSinkErator’s induction motor for the Badger 1 is a thing of beauty. With its quiet operation and stainless steel parts, this 1/3rd horsepower motor can handle almost any food you stuff into it. It offers maximum efficiency with a minimum amount of power, so you won’t have to worry about your home’s energy bills increasing.
- 26 oz. Grind chamber with galvanized steel grind system
- Garbage disposal featurring a 1/3 Horsepower Dura-Rive Induction Motor
- We Come to You 1-year Warranty to protect your waste disposal unit
- Power cord not included; food disposal only
My Story and Experiences
I bought my first home two years ago, and for the first six months, it seemed like anything that could go wrong did. When my kitchen sink’s garbage disposal broke down, it joined the long list of things that needed to be repaired. I was really starting to worry. I was short on time and funds and didn’t have hundreds of dollars to buy a new garbage disposal and pay a professional plumber to install it. Fortunately, a good buddy of mine who flips houses told me about the Badger brand and how he uses it religiously in the houses he remodels.
The Badger 1 had excellent reviews online, and it was well within my budget, so I decided to give it a shot. I am SO glad I did! It was smaller than I expected and surprisingly lightweight. The whole unit only weighs a little over 12 pounds. The instructions seemed pretty straightforward. Now, it was time to test the Quick Lock mounting system’s claims of easy installation. Honestly, it took me more time to get my old unit off of the sink (stubborn arse!) than it did to install the new Badger. I was in and out in a little under an hour.
*On a side note, you will need to buy a separate power cord for the Badger 1 since it doesn’t come with one. *
With everything seemingly put together properly, it was time to take the Badger for a test drive. My fridge had more than a few leftovers that were long past their expiration date. After flipping the breaker back on, I turned on the faucet’s cold water and began using a fork to pry some old chow mien noodles out of a takeout container. Those noodles were pretty hard and dried out, but the Badger chewed them up like a champ. Color me impressed. Leftovers from dinner that night posed no problem either. I am officially sold on the Badger 1. Efficient and affordable…what more can a guy ask for?
My Final Conclusion
If you’re thinking about buying the InSinkErator Badger 1, do it! It has hundreds of personal and professional online reviews, and I guarantee that you’ll be impressed when you see it in action in person. I expect this unit will last for quite some time. It’s an impressive feat of engineering. Should something go wrong, I know I have InSinkErator’s comprehensive warranty to back me up.